23 January 2011

Macaroni Salad



I have always had the hardest time finding the perfect recipe for a good, classic macaroni salad. It seems to me that every time I make it the salad always tastes a little too bland or is a little too dry.

Until now.

This recipe is the perfect combination of creaminess and is bursting with flavor. The added vegetables give it just the right amount of crunch, and what I like most about it is that the longer you let it sit in your fridge, the better it tastes! I love recipes that I "have" to make earlier in the day or the night before; they make life so much easier.

This is the only macaroni salad recipe {of this sort} I will use from now on ~ my days of looking for the perfect recipe are through, this is it!


4 cups uncooked small macaroni {elbow or shells}
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup grated carrots
2 Teaspoons chopped pimento peppers

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.

In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrots, pimentos and macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, but preferable overnight.

No comments: